Review: Where She Went – Gayle Forman

Where She Went

Title: Where She Went
Author: Gayle Forman
Series: If I Stay #2
Published: November 4, 2010
Opening Sentence: “Every morning I wake up and I tell myself this: It’s just one day, one twenty-four hour period to get yourself through.”
Author Website | Goodreads | Amazon

It’s been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam’s life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard’s rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia’s home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future–and each other.

Fair warning: I have no idea what I want to say about this book, so this will probably be extremely jumbled.

I didn’t read the synopsis for Where She Went and had no idea what was going to happen in it, so I was surprised when I realized it was being told from the perspective of Adam instead of Mia. It was a good surprise though, because we got so little of Adam in If I Stay that it wasn’t really shown what a great character he is. And he is a great character. I spent probably 95% of this novel feeling depressed for him and the other 5% hoping for the best even though sometimes he’s a bit of a jackass.

(As in If I Stay) Where She Went takes place mostly within just a day or two. I love it when books have a short timeframe because it forces them to keep the story going, going, going. There’s only so much that can happen in a day. There’s the problem of sometimes trying to fit too much into a few hours, but this book doesn’t suffer from it. It reads sort of like an “A Day in the Life” feature, except amped up by past love and frequent anger.

I’m extremely impressed with Where She Went. I’ve run into too many sequels that fell flat. I was so happy to find I liked the second book a tad more than the first book. I enjoyed them both, but I feel like Where She Went has that extra sort of oompf! that If I Stay doesn’t and it’s simply satisfying in a way only an ending can be.

Rating: 5 of 5 stars


Reviews from the rest of the series:
If I Stay (#1)

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Review: Where She Went – Gayle Forman

Let's chat!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s